Sunday, January 16, 2011

A foreclosed mystery

I went to see a lovely foreclosure today - beautiful, 10 ft ceilings, three stories with a finished attic, and a pretty back yard on a quiet street.  At first I didn't think much of the sooty residue on the floors - probably the evidence of too many people with snowy, muddy shoes.  The black spatters on the wall where a puzzle, though - what did the previous owners do in these rooms?  The blown-out chunks of radiator cinched it.  I don't know what has to happen in a steam or hot water system to cause 5 inch cracks and holes the size of your hand in a cast iron radiator tube, but I doubt it was pretty.   And I doubt that it is the only thing that went wrong.  Back to searching...  I hope someone who knows something about radiators (and, it turns out, asbestos) takes the house and shows it some love.  It has the most beautiful bones. 

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment